Christ Church Ithan was designed and built by Theophilus Parsons Chandler (1846-1928), a noted architect of his time, and deeded by him and his wife, the former Sophie Madeleine duPont, to the trustees of the Episcopal Diocese of Pennsylvania. It was consecrated on All Saint's Day, November 1, 1919.
English Gothic in design, the Church is situated on historic Conestoga Road on ground once known as "Ithan Farms," the summer homes of the Chandlers.
The windows of the Church are all stained glass illustrating the life of Jesus and the story of St. Martin and the history of the Church, the Anglican Communion in particular.
For many years the Church at Ithan remained a Chapel under the pastoral rectorate of St. Martin's, Radnor, and no clergyman was designated as its Vicar. In 1958, an initiative towards obtaining full parochial autonomy gained momentum. At the Diocesan Convention of that year, the congregation at Ithan was admitted to Communion in the Diocese of Pennsylvania as an independent parish under the name of Christ Church, Ithan.